For this discussion, we will consider how gerrymandering currently affects Texas politics, and how gerrymandering has been used historically in Texas politics. Gerrymandering is a political strategy to redraw Congressional districts in a way that engineers the outcomes of elections to favor one party or another. Understand that the main intent of these discussions is to hold a dialogue. Kindly begin work on this discussion well in advance of the deadline to insure that your classmates are afforded ample time to respond to your posts. Waiting until the last minute to complete this assignment will allow your classmates less time to interact with you and may defeat the purpose of the assignment. To prepare for writing your discussion post and responses, follow these steps: 1. For a background to gerrymandering, reference course materials and watch this video that presents an overview on how legislators stay in power as a result of legislative redistricting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v＝1s6erd5MbEY (Links to an external site.) 2. Next, go to the Texas Tribune website that shows the new voting maps based on the 2020 Census, and type in your address to view any changes between the 2010 and 2020 voting maps: https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2021/texas-redistricting-map/ (Links to an external site.) • Consider how demographic changes like race, ethnicity, or partisanship influence voting and election outcomes. • Think about political motivations for making these particular changes between the 2010 and 2020 maps. 3. In a concise (250-300 words) post, answer the following questions utilizing course materials, concepts, and the information above: • How will the demographic and geographical changes between your 2010 and 2020 voting district change political outcomes for elections? How does gerrymandering affect you or voters in the district? (Sugar Land TX, District 22) • How do historical, social, political, economic, and cultural forces in Texas manifest in the legislature’s and parties’ use of gerrymandering? Consider Texas’s political cultures, dominant ideologies, partisanship, and social or demographic changes in this answer. 4. After you have submitted your post, respond in 100-150 words to TWO posts from your peers and offer a thoughtful response to what you have read. • You can respond either to fellow students’ primary post or to their response to your primary post. • Use course materials and concepts in your answers, too, to help you formulate your thoughts.
- What impact will this decision have on the state of the Saudi economy in general?
- Employ effective research skills to identify key sources of information to determine what behavioral methods have been successful for students whose learning needs are similar to those in your data analysis and how progress was monitored.
- What are some of the limitations of this evidence?
- Will use of the individual’s initials or name at the end of the message satisfy the signature requirement, under Article 2B of the Uniform Commercial Code (the UCC)?
- If you were manufacturing toothpaste and decided to substitute diethylene glycol for glycerin, would you consider it
your ethical obligation to tell the consumer?