cartoon : http://www.americanyawp.com/text/wp-content/uploads/School-Begins1-1000×500.jpg
link to textbook: http://www.americanyawp.com/text/19-american-empire/
textbook only no outside sources this is required ofr passing grade.
This 1899 political cartoon from the political satire publication Puck exemplifies some of the debate between those who were pro-imperialists (wanted to expand US boundaries and interests abroad) and those who were anti-imperialists (did not want the US to become colonizers). The image brings into question the debates around the Spanish American War and whether or not the US should be an imperial power and colonize other places.
Look closely at this political cartoon (including the words on the textbooks, board, etc.) and answer the following questions. After answering the questions, post comment on one other person’s post within your group.
Based on your “American Empire” chapter reading, describe two ways in which this visual image highlights the national debate around the Spanish American War and its aftermath regarding whether or not the United States should colonize or expand into other areas.
What do you think is the symbolism behind the African American washing a window, the American Indian reading away from the rest of the group, and the Chinese American entering the doorway of the school compared to the rest of the image? Is the artist pro-imperialism or anti-imperialism?
Don’t forget to comment on one fellow classmate’s post after you complete your own analysis.
- What impact will this decision have on the state of the Saudi economy in general?
- Employ effective research skills to identify key sources of information to determine what behavioral methods have been successful for students whose learning needs are similar to those in your data analysis and how progress was monitored.
- What are some of the limitations of this evidence?
- Will use of the individual’s initials or name at the end of the message satisfy the signature requirement, under Article 2B of the Uniform Commercial Code (the UCC)?
- If you were manufacturing toothpaste and decided to substitute diethylene glycol for glycerin, would you consider it
your ethical obligation to tell the consumer?